Our school district started in 1856!
In 1859, after Francis Kellogg received a land grant, Kelloggsville’s first one-room schoolhouse was built. In 1882, a similar school replaced the original structure after a fire destroyed the building. Later in 1907, due to an increase in population, a second room was added to the school.
During WWI, there was a decline in attendance due to a picric acid plant being built in the area. Explosives for the war were to be developed in the plant. Many students quit school to help build the plant. Half of the school was closed and it again became a one-room schoolhouse. The second room was used for events in the community such as social gatherings, spell downs, sewing bees and community singing. The “home folk” also welcomed outsiders to join in the festivities.
Francis William Kellogg - Founder of Kelloggsville
Francis William Kellogg was born on May 30, 1810 in Worthington, Massachusetts. In 1855, Mr. Kellogg engaged in the lumber business in Paris Township, Michigan. On September 12, 1858, Mr. Kellogg was issued a land grant to build a one-room schoolhouse. This school was designated to be Fractional District Number Eight. Mr. Kellogg was later a member of the Michigan State House of Representatives and continued in politics for many years.
He also served as a Colonel with the Union Army in the Civil War. He passed away on January 13, 1879. He is buried in the Fulton Street Cemetery in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
James Keeney - First School Teacher
The first known School teacher at Kelloggsville was Mr. James Keeney. Born in Canada in 1840, Mr Keeney and his family moved to Grand Rapids, MI when he was 12 years old. He obtained his elementary education at Knapp Avenue School. At the age of 16, he quit school and took an examination from the school board, the only requirement for teaching in those days, and started on his vocation.
He was paid twenty dollars a month and had free room and board. The responsibility of his room and board was divided equally among the parents of the students.
Mr. Keeney was a teacher at Kelloggsville when the Civil War broke out. In 1862, he enlisted in the 126th Division of the engineers and mechanics. He was honorably discharged after being injured. Years later, on November 30, 1920, he passed away. He will forever be remembered as a hero for his country, a booster for education and the first teacher at Kelloggsville.
“Along a dusty plank road through the forest of pines, comes a stagecoach drawn by a pair of sprightly, well groomed horses. As the coach passes on, the passengers hear the shouts and cries of small children playing near a small, one-room schoolhouse. Now and then, an Indian wigwam is seen. The shrieking sounds of the saws as the logs are cut into pieces attracts the attention of the passengers in the coach. The sound comes from a small sawmill near by. The stage coach stops at the Kelloggsville Hotel, and the driver, wearing a tall, fur plug hat, springs from his high seat to assist the passengers into the hotel. Here they will remain overnight, for this hotel is the only stopping place between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, their destination.”
Beacon Lights of Kelloggsville - 1937